With the tremendously growing online learning trends, organizations are concerned about managing their existing content repositories efficiently. Because when they move to a new learning management system (LMS) its content authoring toolsmight not support the old content formats. To eliminate such roadblocks, learning management systems ensure that the content authoring tools must support content sharing standards like SCORM, AICC, or xAPI. Today, we will walk you through the significance of SCORM compliance (SCORM 2004 and SCORM 1.2) for an LMS and how it impacts the overall learning experience. Let’s dive in!
Why your LMS needs SCORM?You must be wondering, why is SCORM so hyped in the LMS industry? Well, a SCORM enabled LMS empowers the authoring tools to create engaging and dynamic trackable content. As a result, the instructors can not only use the course content to train learners but track their learning progress too. The content becomes reusable and can also be sold to others. SCORM compliance is important when your goals are:
- Implementing an online learning management system for content management and delivery as part of continuing education
- Developing a comprehensive learning object repository or library
- Content development for the purpose of learner progress and performance tracking
- For integrating with other LMS vendors or reselling training or learning content
What are the Advantages of SCORM?Whether you are using the content authoring tools to create content for an LMS for Association or for corporate and enterprise organizations, SCORM compliance brings a wide range of benefits to the table. Here are a few of the most prominent ones:
- Re-usability with Plug-and-Play Functionality: SCORM compliance supports plug-and-play functionality, as a result, online learning content development efforts can be saved by reusing the already created content. Interactive content can be developed while saving time and money. Training managers can reuse proven content available with us.
- Interoperability and Easy Editing: SCORM compliance supports plug-and-play functionality, as a result, online learning content development efforts can be saved by reusing the already created content. Interactive content can be developed while saving time and money. Training managers can reuse proven content available with us.
- Adaptability: SCORM aligns your online learning needs adapt with appropriate compliance requirements. The adaptability feature also allows organizations to manage content and training programs depending on the groups and job roles that the learners belong to. Content developers use sequencing rules while developing instructional content so that learner progress can be effortlessly tracked.
- Reporting and Learner Progress Tracking: With an advanced LMS, SCORM supports reporting and auto-tracking of learners’ progress. The reports gather data on course completion, test results, time spent on every training module, page views, etc. It helps in getting better insights into the learning experience and improve it eventually using analytics.
- Interactive Content: WTop learning management systems need interactive content to keep learners engaged and content authoring tools with SCORM compliance let that happen. With a plethora of elements to stimulate and engage the learners, the LMS is able to deliver a fun way to learn for the learners. Quizzes, polls, surveys, forums, chats, social media, etc. are easily integrated into the SCORM content for better interactivity.